If you’re thinking of getting some service advisor training for your automotive service advisors, then you’ve come to the right place. With over 20 years under my belt, I have built a rock-solid reputation in the automotive business as an automotive consultant. But it needs to be said up front… I don’t like to call myself a “consultant.” I prefer words like coach and mentor, because unlike other automotive consultants who will come in, offer their services for a few days, and then charge an exorbitant fee for any follow-up or continuity, we treat our family the right way here at Chris Collins Inc.
I’ve made my living by putting other people first. That’s probably why, in just 3 years, I grew Crevier BMW over 300% to the eighth largest dealership in the US, from its previous place as 123rd, and why my OnDemand Training platform is the first and only of it’s kind in the whole industry. Not bad, considering that I started in the business as just a car washer.
So, on this page, we’ve built a massive list of articles and blog posts for you to use as a free teaching resource for everyone in your automotive business. My team and I have been embedded in every single aspect of the automotive industry; from washing cars to writing service to managing the parts department to new car sales to admin to owning a dealership and everything in-between, I am confident that there isn’t a single lesson that you can’t learn from this massive resource.
BELOW IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF SERVICE ADVISOR TRAINING RESOURCES:
1. Service Advisors: Smarter Than Your Average Bear – In Service Advisors: Smarter Than Your Average Bear, you’ll learn some great tips on how to be a great service advisor and beat the competition. As the camper in the story says, it’s not about outrunning the bear, it’s about outrunning the other guy. Many automotive businesses and consultants limit themselves only to the strategies they’re traditionally taught, but this one will teach you strategies that are truly out of the box!
2. The Dealership Consultant – With the economy still recovering from COVID-19, you’d think most people are thinking twice about hiring a consultant. But what we’re finding is that the floodgates are re-opening, and people are in need of training and are actively seeking help. In The Dealership Consultant, you’ll be convinced why it would be in your company’s best interest to do so. As stated in the article, ensuring a harmonious relationship between the manufacturer, the dealership consultant, the contractors, and the customers is a win-win situation for everyone.
3. Fixed Ops Consultant – Now that you have your automotive company up and running smoothly, do you think it’s time for you to relax believing that the profits will continue coming in? Of course not. Businesses that have been running for years have a tendency for complacency, a big NO when running a business. This is the time to bring in a Fixed Ops Consultant and ensure that your processes and systems are improved as much as possible. As your business grows, so does your market, and processes that may have been applicable before will probably need to be modified to adjust to the new normal.
4. Automotive Consultant at Work – Learn how an automotive consultant can become an invaluable part of your company. In Automotive Consultant at Work, you’ll learn more about automotive consultants and how they can dramatically increase the profits in your business.
5. Service Department Training – Good customer service, this is the by-word of most companies, and the automotive industry is no exception. Do you know whether you’re giving “good” customer service? Even if your CSI scores are high, could they be higher? Learn the 9 questions that should be coming up in your service department training to ensure the quality of your business’s customer service is constantly improving.
6. Automotive Marketing Consultant – Marketing is an important aspect in any business, some may even argue its the most important. There are many ways to market your products and services, but which strategy is the best one? Can you afford to test different marketing strategies before you find the best one suited for your company? Your best bet would be to hire an automotive marketing consultant. Read the article to know more about the benefits of hiring one.
7. Automotive Product Consultants – Business doesn’t conclude once you’ve sold the car, in fact it’s only just begun. Your next concern should be how to retain the customer. This is where automotive product consultants come in. These highly trained individuals focus on customer retention, among other things. They are product experts and can give very good advice to customers to ensure their loyalty.
8. What Does An Automotive Sales Consultant Do? – Do you know those guys that welcome you with a big smile the moment you step in a car dealership? They are the automotive sales consultants. In the article What Does An Automotive Sales Consultant Do?, you’ll learn more about these people and whether you have what it takes to do this very challenging (and lucrative) job.
9. Automotive Consultation Service – If you’re looking for a way to ensure your company’s success, then you should think seriously about getting an automotive consultation service. Automotive consulting is one sure way to fast-track your company’s growth.
10. Bulldog Marketing – Did you know that 68% of lost business in America is due to apathy? Don’t let your accounts be one of those fatalities. Once you have a lead, you need to sink your teeth in and really be tenacious. That’s why people call me The Bulldog, and why I made the Bulldog my company mascot: They’re nothing if not tenacious. Learn more about Bulldog Marketing in this article.
11. Tweaking Your Sales Strategy – Is your sales strategy a flop? Don’t start panicking. Read about the proper way of Tweaking Your Sales Strategy to ensure that you close that sale.
12. The Art of Active Listening While You’re at Work – How many times has this happened: You have this great sales pitch which you’ve practiced over and over in front of the mirror. The customer comes in, and you start talking. After a few minutes, the customer shakes their head and heads out the door. What happened? Pitching is just a small part of closing the sale, the most important part is listening to what your customer really needs. Learn The Art of Active Listening While You’re at Work and never worry again about losing a sale.
13. The Top Seven Marketing Strategies of All Time – The competition over the market is always stiff. Learn The Top Seven Marketing Strategies of All Time and have a constant edge over all your competitors.
14. The Top 1% Precision Selling – Selling is a science, and not based on luck. It’s a series of processes that, when followed closely, will ensure a closed sale. Know more about these processes in The Top 1% Precision Selling.
15. What’s Your Negotiation Style? – In order to negotiate well, first you must know the different negotiation styles and how to use them to your advantage. Read What’s Your Negotiation Style? to find out your negotiation style, as well as what the customer’s style is. This way you can adjust accordingly, and achieve the best solution for everyone.
16. The Ultimate Competitive Advantage: Trust and Respect – Need a way to ensure that you stay ahead of the competition? Read The Ultimate Competitive Advantage: Trust and Respect and learn how to use these two qualities to ensure success.
17. Just a Little Bit Better – It’s a tough world out there, and every day new companies are emerging on the market to steal your customers. So, how do you stay on top? Simple, by being Just a Little Bit Better. In this article, learn different ways to ensure that customers will always stay with your company.
18. Sales Driven or Purpose Driven – What Kind of Businessman Are You? – What is more important for your company – sales or customer service? In the article Sales Driven or Purpose Driven – What Kind of Businessman Are You?, these two terms are defined to help you choose what kind of organization your company should ultimately be.
19. Direct Mail or Email? – Sending advertisements through the mail is an age-old marketing technique in automotive sales. But with the advent of the Internet, is this still effective? A study was made to answer this question. Learn more in Fixed Ops Case Study (Direct Mail or Email).
20. Become a Chief Networking Officer – Do you know who is in charge of handling community-based activities and networking to bring more customers and prospects into your business? It’s the chief networking officer. Find out if you’re cut out to Become a Chief Networking Officer by reading this article.
21. How to Generate More Testimonials – A testimonials databank coming from your satisfied clients could be a very important asset to your business. Learn how to do this in How to Generate More Testimonials.
22. Make Your Irresistible Offer – Want to close a sale? Then learn how to Make Your Irresistible Offer.
23. Different Customer Personalities and How to Deal with Them – A good sales consultant knows how to estimate a potential customer the moment they step through the door. Know who these people are in Different Customer Personalities and How to Deal with Them.
24. Service Manager Liberation – Do you want to raise your labor rate? Learn how Chris Collins helped a Service Manager in Florida named Joe raise his by $4 in Service Manager Liberation.
25. Crazy Ways to Increase Your Service Department Sales This Year – Are you running out of ideas to lift your sales? Then read Crazy Ways to Increase Your Service Department Sales This Year and see your sales shoot up.
26. Social Media for Buyer Prospecting – A Risk or A Must? – Do you have a Facebook page for your automotive company? No? Then read Social Media for Buyer Prospecting – A Risk or A Must? and learn the pros and cons of exploring this platform as a marketing tool.
27. 9 Ultimate Reasons You Can Be Successful – It may be the year 2020 already, but you can still get some valuable insights on how to make this year a profitable one in 9 Ultimate Reasons You Can Be Successful.
28. Strategies that Sell – Know why an automotive technician can sometimes sell more than a service advisor in Strategies that Sell.
29. Poison Words That Could Sabotage Your Sales – When making a pitch, you must choose your words very carefully to avoid turning off the customer. In this article, you’ll learn the Poison Words That Could Sabotage Your Sales.
30. Top 5 Reasons Why Service Manager Fails – Do you want to be an effective service manager? Then read the Top 5 Reasons Why Service Managers Fail and avoid making the same mistakes.
31. Auto Business Transformation Secrets Revealed – In these times, everything is changing fast – whether it’s technology, business models, and marketing practices. As the manager, it is up to you ensure that your company is able to adapt to these changes. In the article Auto Business Transformation Secrets Revealed, learn how to manage your company to keep up with the times.
32. Where Do You See The Future of Automotive Fixed Operations Consulting Going – In Where Do You See The Future of Automotive Fixed Operations Consulting Going?, we examine whether having the latest technology is really the answer… or is it still giving a great customer experience?
33. The New Stuff for Service Managers and Service Advisors by Chris Collins – Learn the importance of properly training your service managers and service advisors in The New Stuff for Service Managers and Service Advisors by Chris Collins.
34. Service Manager Contest Winner – Meet Vicki, the winner of the Chris Collins $25,000 Service Manager Challenge, and join her and Chris as they talk about the journey she had gone through to increase her sales.
35. 10 Things that Prove Why a Great Team is Always Better than a Great Idea – Do you have a great idea? Then it’s time for you to put a great team together. Find out why in 10 Things that Prove Why a Great Team is Always Better than a Great Idea.
36. Pet The Dog Instead Of Tired Old Walk Arounds – Watch my Pet The Dog video to learn about my famous Chris Collins story of petting the dog, how it applies to customer service, and how you can use it to boost your sales.
37. How to Spot an Excellent Service Advisor – We wrote this one for the customers, to teach them how to spot a trustworthy service advisor using three simple principles. If you want to be a model advisor, How to Spot an Excellent Service Advisor is the article you need to read.
38. How to Calculate Hours Per Repair Order (HPRO) – With this simple formula, you’ll be able to quickly, easily, and accurately Calculate Your Hours Per Repair Order, which is perhaps the clearest indicator of productivity that you can measure in your Service department.
Other Useful Resources:
- If you’re interested about learning more on how to become a service advisor, then read How to be a Service Advisor: Step-by-Step Career Guide.
- In the Journal Service Marketing, the research tackles the impact of communication effectiveness and service quality on relationship commitment in consumer, professional services.
- Know more about the Automotive Repair and Maintenance Sectors. Learn about the laws & regulations, compliance, and policies & guidelines of this sector.
- Protect yourself from dishonest, deceptive and fraudulent practices in vehicle repair by reading the Motor Vehicle Repair Shop Registration Act.
- If you’re from California, here’s another article with tips on how you could keep your vehicle in good condition and ensure a good working relationship with your auto repair shop. Read A Consumer’s Guide To Automotive Repair In California.
And here’s another free Training Video that you may want to see:
Service Advisor Training – Circle Of Trust